[nsd-users] NSD TCP performance

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Nov 9 18:46:58 UTC 2007

    On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 12:06:20PM -0500, nsd at dclg.ca wrote:

    > I'd like to have a look at this patch.  Maybe the patch can be worked
    > ina more acceptable manner.  My client is very concerned about TCP
    > performance because of DNSSEC being on the horizon.

    Of course, TCP isn't maybe the only way DNSSEC will get responses,

The preferred way is to use EDNS0. If I remember correctly, it is a
requirement for DNSSEC (rfc 3226).

    but it's a concern for sure.  It also seems that this TCP issue
    is a DoS waiting to happen, since it imposes rather more overhead,
    AFAICT.

Yes, in general TCP connections take up more resources. That's
one of the motivations for ENDS0.

	jaap