SERVFAIL <=> NXDOMAIN

Irenäus Becker becker at dominic.de
Wed Jun 13 16:26:00 UTC 2007

Hello,

we encountered a problem with registry nic.at for tld .at and their
transaction "BillWithDraw". This transaction allows an registrar to
delegate authority back to registry.
For a successful use of this transaction all nameserver-entries for the
zone will be deleted by our application before nic-order will be sent to
nic.at.
Nic.at now checks all nameserver for existing entries for affected zone.
If all nameservers return a NXDOMAIN (Bind) everything is fine.
Our NSD nameservers return the status SERVFAIL. Nic.at interprets this
return-code as an error and does not finish this transaction completely.

Is it possible to return a NXDOMAIN instead of a SERVFAIL? Are there
different  possibilities how this point can be resolved?
Nic.at will not change their behaviour before Q4!

Best regards,
Irenäus Becker

         Irenäus Becker * Team Leader Customer Care

DSS Gesellschaft fuer Digitale Sicherheit mbH * HRB Bonn 7907
   Servatiusweg 19-23, 53332 Bornheim, phone +49 2222 990-0
     Geschäftsführer: Thomas Reiners, Sven-Holger Wabnitz

                     http://www.dominic.de