dynamic update nad easier config

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Tue Nov 28 10:59:58 UTC 2006

Wouter Wijngaards wrote:
> Hi Farkas,
>
> Dynamic update support in NSD is not planned.

this has any reason or just a simple not.

> Reading the zone file NS records to get config. This can be a nice idea,
> if it is what you need. Of course only for master servers, since a slave
> may not have (an up to date) zone file.

just for master zones.

> Right now NSD does not send NOTIFY or provide AXFR unless you config it
> so. This config may not be what people need, their setup may be
> different, TSIG usage etc. And it introduces a lot of featurism and

this is a good feature, but IMHO the most common use more then 90% is to
send notify to those slaves which has an NS record in it's zone file.

> config stuff that is not needed now. (And I personally do not like
> making a DNS server dependent on DNS query results to resolve the NS names).

i can be a preprocessor or build into nsdc.
like something:
zone:
        name: "example.com"
        zonefile: "example.com.zone"
	notify-provide-xfr-ns: yes NOKEY
and in this case while parsing the zone file get the NS record, exclude
the master's and add all others to notify and provide-xfr list with the
given key. this result a much cleaner config and lead to less error eg
one someone modify the master zone file that shouldn't have to modify
the nsd.conf etc.
if i'd like to go further the same theory can be used for slave zones
ie. suppose primary master is in the zones SOA record so it can be get
from there, but this really requires zone lookup etc. which is more then
just zone file parsing. but IMHO also more then 90% of the case use this
setup.

> A script that generates nsd.conf using NS records from the zone files
> could work better. Much simpler and easier to configure when you run
> that script. It keeps the features out of the NSD server, which is good.
> I do not plan to write one though, I do not know your setup :-)

nsd put all config data into nsd.db? if yes, then it shouldn't have to
generate new conf, but put these data into nsd.db and imho it's not
setup dependent. or keep slave in memory, then it can be also used and
don't need to generate conf file. or does it read conf each time when it
need to send notify?
just my 2c.