Wishlist: make nsd-xfer more verbose

Miek Gieben miek at miek.nl
Mon Mar 27 10:25:49 UTC 2006

[On 27 Mar, @11:57, Ondrej Sury wrote in "Wishlist: make nsd-xfer more v ..."]
> Hi,
>
> I recently found myself in situation when I was debugging why AXFR is
> not working and having error messages so terse as:
>
> error response %d
>
> is not very helpful...  Perhaps more verbose error message would help
> also others in same situation?  What do you think?  I am willing to
> provide a patch if you point me to place where I can read what those
> various error messages mean.

these errors are the rcodes from the DNS messages. In NSD we currently
have, dns.h:

/* Possible RCODE values */
#define RCODE_OK                0       /* No error condition */
#define RCODE_FORMAT            1       /* Format error */
#define RCODE_SERVFAIL          2       /* Server failure */
#define RCODE_NXDOMAIN          3       /* Name Error */
#define RCODE_IMPL              4       /* Not implemented */
#define RCODE_REFUSE            5       /* Refused */
#define RCODE_NOTAUTH           9       /* Not authorized */

It might help if some extra text is printed.

regards,

--
grtz,
  - Miek

  http://www.miek.nl              http://www.nlnetlabs.nl
  PGP: 6A3C F450 6D4E 7C6B C23C  F982 258B 85CF 3880 D0F6