Suboptimal behavior from nsd

Roy Arends roy at logmess.com
Thu Jan 8 15:10:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 03:20:57PM +0100,
>  Roy Arends <roy at logmess.com> wrote
>  a message of 17 lines which said:
>
> > A server must not send out-of-bailiwick.
>
> Out of bailiwick? ns2.nic.fr is authoritative for these domaines
> (supelec.fr, nic.fr, afnic.fr).

All RR's in the response must have owner names relative (in-bailiwick) to
QNAME. If the resolver wants to know other names, it can (must if I were
king) query for that.  Authoritative has nothing to do with it and has
only bearing on the origin of the response, and then, only to the answer
and authority section, not the additional section.

Roy