[net-dns-users] NS & DS record issues

Raymond Drew Walker Ray.Walker at nau.edu
Thu Mar 6 21:18:13 UTC 2014

I’ve been trying to perform some zone record cleanup after it’s deletion and ran into two interesting issues.
(Using BIND9 for DNS)

One:
Though not queryable, a parent zone still contain NS records for a child zone even after the removal of the zone… which is seemingly not able to be queried.

$name = “child.zone”;
$type = “NS”;

    my $res = Net::DNS::Resolver->new;
    $res->nameservers($server);
    $res->port($port);
    $res->recurse(1);
    $res->debug(1);
    my $packet = $res->send($name, $type);

Is there a method to retrieve this record information? Also, how to delete these?

One:
For removal of DS records, I receive a FORMERR for this type of resource record delete:

$update->push("update", rr_del("child.zone DS 56419  5  2  d36a214f569acb874fe5911f91ed82a90c59c056c2c62e356d621bd064c3a8ad”);

I can delete all DS records by omitting the record data just fine, but what it the appropriate method to delete a particular DS record?

—
Raymond Walker
Software Systems Engineer StSp.
ITS - Northern Arizona University