[net-dns-users] section RR counts read only

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Dec 20 13:42:59 UTC 2012

On Dec 20, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Dick Franks <rwfranks at acm.org> wrote:

> On 20 December 2012 07:29, Calle Dybedahl <calle.dybedahl at init.se> wrote:
>> You're making assumptions about how people will want to use your module, and by doing so unnecessarily limiting what it can be used for.
>
> I am making the assumption that end users want what Net::DNS claims to
> provide:  Perl interface to the Domain Name System.
>
> The internal components like Header.pm exist to facilitate that
> primary mission. Injecting corrupt packets into the global DNS is a
> violation of the relevant standards; the design should, where
> possible, minimise that risk.

I agree with the primary mission and that the primary mission is first consideration.

However, IMHO there is a bonafide secondary mission. Therefore we should not make it impossible for people that have a genuine requirement for injecting corrupt packets to the wire (e.g. for testing, troubleshooting, and other usefulness). So I wouldn't want us to dismiss that angle to easily.

--Olaf

NLnet
Labs
Olaf M. Kolkman

www.NLnetLabs.nl
olaf at NLnetLabs.nl

Science Park 400, 1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands