[ldns-users] ldns-read-zone assumes an incorrect origin

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Jul 27 13:22:52 UTC 2021

Hi Anand,

On 26/07/2021 12:24, Anand Buddhdev via ldns-users wrote:
> If I feed ldns-read-zone a zone file that doesn't have a $ORIGIN
> directive, then ldns-read-zone assumes the origin to be ".". It just
> appends a dot to all relative names in the zone, so that the resulting
> output is wrong.
>
> IMHO, ldns-read-zone should fail with an error if it can't determine the
> origin (either in the zone file, or by way of a command-line option).
> Assuming the origin to be "." is incorrect.

We corrected this in commit "ORIGIN from SOA owner, also in SOA rdata
fields",
https://github.com/NLnetLabs/ldns/commit/69ba60c3a3ac8c7e1f2a0f34f76280324e47f28f.

This should make ldns-read-zone use the correct origin, without needing
a specification.

Best,

-- Benno

--