[ldns-users] ldns-read-zone ignores $INCLUDE directives

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Jul 27 13:22:04 UTC 2021

Hi Anand,

On 26/07/2021 12:18, Anand Buddhdev via ldns-users wrote:
> I have noticed that ldns-read-zone doesn't handle $INCLUDE directives.
> In fact, it *silently* ignores them! It reads the zone file, and prints
> the records it parses, but simply leaves out the content from include
> files. It doesn't even print a message or give an error indication that
> it has skipped over this directive.
>
> The $INCLUDE directive is a part of the zone file standard, and should
> be honoured. Instead, it is being _silently_ ignored, which is, IMHO, a
> rather serious bug, because it gives the impression that ldns-read-zone
> has successfully read and parsed a zone file, whereas the output is
> actually incomplete.

The error also happened in the file you sent me earlier, and I fixed it
already! With the fix it should print an error that this is not supported.

It was in this commit, to the source repository version
https://github.com/NLnetLabs/ldns/commit/46042cb39725886e808df08aa7d4ca1d3fc0697b

For $GENERATE such a descriptive error is not printed, a syntax error is
printed for this directive.

Best regards, Wouter