[ldns-users] drill -T with CNAMEs

Greg Ward greg at gerg.ca
Mon Jan 27 23:51:49 UTC 2014

Hi all --

I'm looking for a DNS tracing tool that starts at a root nameserver,
and follows CNAMEs all the way to a set of A (or AAAA) records. "drill
-T", like "dig +trace", stops when it gets to a CNAME, e.g.

  $ drill -T www.microsoft.com
  com.    172800  IN      NS      d.gtld-servers.net.
  [...]
  com.    172800  IN      NS      b.gtld-servers.net.
  microsoft.com.  172800  IN      NS      ns3.msft.net.
  microsoft.com.  172800  IN      NS      ns1.msft.net.
  microsoft.com.  172800  IN      NS      ns5.msft.net.
  microsoft.com.  172800  IN      NS      ns2.msft.net.
  microsoft.com.  172800  IN      NS      ns4.msft.net.
  www.microsoft.com.      3600    IN      CNAME   toggle.www.ms.akadns.net.

To get the answer I want -- a list of IP addressess -- I'd have to run
"drill -T" repeatedly until I stop getting CNAMEs. No thanks! I want
it done 1) automatically and 2) in a single process, so it doesn't
have to hit the root and TLD nameservers repeatedly.

I don't see any options to drill that would help me. Is anyone aware
of a drill-like tool that might help? Or a patch to drill to save me
the time of hacking it up myself?

Thanks!

Greg