[ldns-users] Perl-module using ldns

Calle Dybedahl calle at init.se
Thu Dec 12 14:01:13 UTC 2013

Hello.

We (as in the project I’m involved in at .SE) felt the need for an alternative to the Net::DNS Perl module, and the easiest way to get one turned out to be to write our own based on ldns. It is now feature-complete enough for our current needs, and it’s possible that it may be useful for others. The interface is very similar, but not quite identical, to Net::DNS.

You can find it on CPAN under the name Net::LDNS, or on github at https://github.com/dotse/net-ldns

As of now, it’s only tested with ldns version 1.6.16. It’s being developed on OSX, regularly used on Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS and occasionally tested on other Debian-derivatives, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. At least in theory, it should be usable on any platform where ldns itself works and which has a /dev/null (that last bit is because we need somewhere to temporarily point STDERR, to silence output from ldns). Feedback on how well (if at all) it works on various platforms as well as wishes for what features to add next are welcome. If you want something done (like support for currently half-supported RR types), the best way is as Github issues.

--
Calle Dybedahl
calle at init.se -*- +46 703 - 970 612