[ldns-users] ldns on iPhone ?

Marc Groeneweg Marc.Groeneweg at sidn.nl
Tue May 1 05:31:05 UTC 2012

Hi John,

>I would very much like to know how you got libunbound
>working/validation (I presume you mean DNSSEC) ?
This will be posted very soon on SIDNlabs. And yes, we mean DNSSEC.

>did you have to modify only the build or all the crypto calls ?
I didn't have to do anything to create the library. So no modifications are necessary.

>even just briefly outline what you did ?
I downloaded the script for creating the OpenSLL library made by Felix Schutze:
http://www.x2on.de/2010/12/16/tutorial-script-for-building-openssl-for-ios-iphoneipad/
(He has made a new one. Everything broke 'cause of the XCode update as an Mac App Store app).

The technique involved here, is creating static, Universal libraries you can add to your XCode project.
Not creating a Framework like Henri Asseily did. I thought this was smarter, but I am not sure.

For creating the libunbound, the same technique is needed, but you have to iterate because of the
dependencies Unbound has with ldns. Three build runs were needed to create libunbound (with ldns)
for the architectures needed for iOS devices (i386, armv6, armv7). Scripts can be found at SIDN labs
as soon as the article on libunbound gets published. (Though the script is broken because of the
XCode update. I must fix this, but I'm no hard-core programmer).

>including OpenSSL in a build for ldns creates a application that is over 10Mb just for a working resolver...
I guess. I just focused on how to make it work, not how big it would get.

>I have spent the day looking at common crypto from apple thats driving me crazy please help...
As I did, before I tried anything with respect to ldns and libunbound. And more over, since
Apple forbids, other then themselves, any dynamic/shared library it's fun to look for alternatives.

Isn't it time DNSSEC support is included in the base libraries?

Regards,
Marc Groeneweg