[ldns-users] oxffffffff in dns records cause a syntax error in ldns-read-zone

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Jan 10 23:44:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

While digging through a large customer zone, I found a few hostnames that contained
0xffffffff characters. Usually the hostname would be just those characters. Via AXFR
you see these as \255\255\255[...]

Doing some googling I surprisingly did find mention of these in some RFC's, so I
guess these are legal (if buggy and unwise) characters.

So should ldns-read-zone accept these as valid? :)

Paul
ps. if anyone knows what buggy software generates these dynamic updates, I'd be
interested in knowing.