[ldns-users] pyldns - memory leaks and double freeing

Bedrich Kosata bedrich.kosata at nic.cz
Wed Apr 13 06:45:55 UTC 2011

Hi again,

as nobody seemed to have anything against my proposal, I prepared the
patches that should fix the problems I outlined before :)

When the patches are applied, the python bindings should always have
rr_list and rr structs separated in memory. This is accomplished by
always cloning rr data when either adding them to an rr_list or
retrieving them from the rr_list.
Most of the changes should be transparent and should not require
modifications to existing code. The only outside change I had to make
was in the "ldns_verify_rrsig_keylist_notime" and
"ldns_verify_rrsig_keylist" functions, because it copies pointers to the
correct keys into a second rr_list. I solved this by replacing each of
these functions by two new ones (thus creating four functions). All
versions take only 3 arguments and differ in the way they treat the
good_keys value. One versions name ends with "_status_only" (e.g.
ldns_verify_rrsig_keylist_notime_status_only) and this does not report
the good_keys at all, just the result of verification. The other ends
with "_" (e.g. ldns_verify_rrsig_keylist_notime_) and returns a tuple
(status, good_keys) where good_keys are indexes of the keys in the key
list supplied to the function. Thus the whole business of two rr_lists
sharing the same data is sidestepped.

The patches are made for each file separately because the fixes are
mostly independent. I also included several test scripts which should
show how the situation was fixed. They either show a situation where the
old version would crash with a segmentation fault or display the amount
of memory the app has used thus pointing to a memory leak. When used
with patched sources, none of the scripts should crash and none should
report more that ~30MB of memory used.

Best regards

Beda

p.s.- the patch for ldns_rdf.i is in fact not related to the rest and
fixes and unrelated memory leak in ldns_rdf.new_frm_str

p.p.s.- I did not touch a related issue of rr and rdf relationship. In
current version, the rdf data does not live beyond the lifetime of the
corresponding rr. This is demonstrated in the attached
test-rrlist-get-rdf.py. The problem could again be solved by cloning all
rdfs on retrieval and addition from/into an rr.
However, I will wait how the current patch is received before I start
thinking about fixing it.