[ldns-users] TSIG trouble

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon May 10 13:43:57 UTC 2010

I have ran into a TSIG incompatibility issue between BIND9 and LDNS.
There was a bug in BIND9 regarding the HMAC-SHA functions, it was fixed
in 9.7.0:

2834. [bug]	HMAC-SHA* keys that were longer than the algorithm
		digest length were used incorrectly, leading to
		interoperability problems with other DNS
		implementations.  This has been corrected.
		(Note: If an oversize key is in use, and
		compatibility is needed with an older release of
		BIND, the new tool "isc-hmac-fixup" can convert
		the key secret to a form that will work with all
		versions.) [RT #20751]

If you are using SHA, this could very well be the cause.

Best regards,

Matthijs Mekking
NLnet Labs