[ldns-users] trailing garbage in wire parser

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun Sep 6 14:02:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Jelte Jansen<jelte at isc.org> wrote:
> robert edmonds brought to my attention something that might or might not be a
> problem in ldns; the wire parser does not error if there is trailing garbage
> after a dns packet. One could very well say that that is not supposed to happen
> and an error should be raised.

Hi Jelte! I have to get used to your (new?) email address!

Ok, on trailing garbage, this is rife on the internet. PowerDNS used
to error out on it, but it was not doable.

So now we ignore it, and life is good.

What is right for ldns depends on your goals, but if you want to make
ldns suitable as a base to build 'real life' solutions on, you almost
have no choice beyond ignoring trailing garbage on otherwise valid
packets.

   Bert