[Dnssec-trigger] Using dnssec-trigger when the forwarder lies

Tue Jan 3 08:56:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

The mission of dnssec-trigger is DNSSEC.

Circumvention of (ill-conceived perhaps) laws is not the goal.
This sort of thing goes on to require full VPN style solutions, if the
conflict becomes serious, also dnssec-trigger is not a VPN by all means.

The fact it can circumvent accidentally (i.e. DNSSEC support not
detected in filter-device, but alternative has no filter) is a failure
of the filtering party to conform to standards.

As much as I dislike censorship, this tool is to provide DNSSEC, not
censor-free-VPN.  DNSSEC will detect and stop tampering, as you note.

Such a circumvention tool is perhaps better suited as a different
piece of add-on software?  It would help, also with classification in
software repositories, and this may help uptake of DNSSEC by
distributions.

Best regards,
   Wouter