[Dnssec-trigger] dnssec trigger 0.3 experimental

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Sep 20 18:11:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:

> Well, does https work with some website? (like nlnetlabs, selfsigned)?

Depends on the state/timing when you break my dns :)
After portal login, all 80/443 works fine.

Turns out the test I tend to do works:

dig +dnssec dnskey xelerance.com @193.110.157.136

But what I had not noticed:

;; WARNING: Messages has 169 extra bytes at end

So something very fishy happening.....

> - - after sign-in you can Reprobe (tray menu) perhaps it works then.

The difference before auth and after login to the portal is that queries
to auth nameservers do work. Does dnssec-trigger do any exponential backof
attempt at probing when the user put it in "insecure mode"?

> - - perhaps dnssec-over-tcp80 and tcp443 works, can you try these digs?

> dig @213.154.224.42 -p 80 +vc +dnssec . DNSKEY

Timeout before login. There is a 302 redirect on port 80 to port 443, see
below.  Works after login

> dig @213.154.224.42 -p 443 +vc +dnssec . DNSKEY

Before login: ;; communications error to 213.154.224.42#443: end of file
This is the secure login page capturing ANY port 443 for login
Works after login

> dig @213.154.224.42 -p 80 +vc +dnssec se. DS

Time out before login.
Works after login

> dig @213.154.224.42 -p 443 +vc +dnssec se. DS

same error as above on port 443 before login
works after login

Note that before login, port 80 traffic does reconnect me to port 443
Not sure why dig does not report an error for that at all.

[paul at thinkpad ~]$ telnet 1.2.3.4 80
Trying 1.2.3.4...
Connected to 1.2.3.4.
Escape character is '^]'.